[Harp-L] Question about custom harmonicas

Steve,

To be fair, my most recent experiences (last 3 or 4 years) have been with MS series Hohners, although I did also acquire a couple of new Special 20's and several Golden Melodies. The Hohner harmonicas i liked best used to be in the classic series, but Hohner stopped making those models and I have not been as satisfied with the MS series models that replaced them. I agree that the inconsistent quality control that used to be a problem in past years has improved. I also acknowledge that I really don't have the expertise to objectively assess harmonica construction in an informed fashion and it is unquestionably true that a large number of players (many of them much better players than i am) have a strong preference for playing Hohners.

BUT, a player does not need to be very expert to know when a harp is airtight and when one is not. All of my Suzukis have consistently good compression. I cannot say the same about my Hohners. This is not subjective. The rest of my statements could just be a refection of my subjective opinion, which may be influenced by my particular style of play. If I knew more about harmonica construction I might be better able to analyze that, but I don't and i won't pretend to have expertise i don't possess.

	Best regards,
		JP