Re: [Harp-L] Bluegrass Harp and the Dixie Flyers

This reminded me of something I ran across long, long ago. I was at the Minnesota State Fair to watch and do a review on Don Williams, who was very big at the time. At the time, I was writing an entertainment column for the local daily paper. (This was probably late Seventies, but my memory is not that good with details and dates.) Anyway, Ricky Scaggs and his band opened for Don Williams and they were hot. Toward the end of Scaggs set, the guys from Don Williams band (which included lead guitarist Danny Flowers, writer of Tulsa Time, etc.) came out on stage and watched from the side.  When Williams came out for his show, they ackknowleged Scaggs and his band as something they were very impressed by.  Ricky was playing something I think was called a Mandocaster.... kind of a combination guitar and mandolin. He was blazing fast on it and the crowd loved it. This was before any of his early country hits and he was an unknown to most people.
harp content: I now play harp on "Cryin' My Heart Out Over You:" with my bluegrass friends.
Steve Webb in icy Minnesota, where the temperature has dropped below zero for the first time this season.