[Harp-L] Fireball/Fireball V

i read Brendan Powers' post about Greg Heuman (of Blows Me away Productions) with interest. Not just because I share Brendan's high regard for Greg and Greg's superior quality of workmanship and customer service, BUT because Brendan said he uses one of Greg's volume controls on his Fireball (instead of using a Fireball V, which has a volume control built in).

I have both mics. Although primary mic for performance is an EV RE 15, I will use an Audix when the thick tone of the RE 15 is not suitable for the style of music being played. I have a strong preference for using the Fireball when playing through a PA board, but I prefer the Fireball V if I am playing through a guitar amp. Although I have to roll off the highs a little, I get much better tone and responsiveness from the Fireball through a PA for my style of play and the breath and mic handling techniques i use. However, the brighter high end does not give me good tone through a guitar amp, and I find the Fireball V to be superior if i am using an amp. In fact, I ordinarily use the Fireball V as my primary mic when playing through an amp. But I don't like the tone and response of the Fireball V if I am going into a PA board.

Apparently, Brendan has a preference for the original Fireball, too. Everyone seems to describe the Fireball V as being the more suitable microphone of the two, but if a player as accomplished and expert as Brendan buys a volume control for his Fireball instead of just using a Fireball V, there must be a good reason for it. IMHO, it is because the characteristics of each mic are different. Some will say the Fireball V is just a Fireball with a frequency bump in the low end, but the frequency response graph for each mic is different in other places along the frequency range, not just at the low end of the range. Both are excellent microphones, but the one i carry most is the Fireball, unless i am also lugging an amp around.

BTW, if effects are being used, the signal from either of these mics will process extremely well.

JP