Re: [Harp-L] re: Smoke-filled rooms

On Dec 5, 2008, at 1:54 PM, Drew Ross wrote:
Joe --

As non-smoking as I am, you get lots of points for being the only other person besides my very Italian (by way of New York) wife who uses the term ... not sure of the spelling, something like ciucca.

Her spelling (ciuccia) is correct. I was spelling it phonetically because ciuccia would come across (to Americans anyway), as 'Key-oo- chee-ah', beings that they don't know that the C is used BOTH hard and soft in Italian as there IS no letter K. lolol

As for N.Y., I lived there when we weren't in Europe. (Bensonhurst Brooklyn, E. 93rd Manhattan, and Silver Lake, Staten Is.)

For the rest of you, it is Italian for donkey, and it usually connotes a male who is too much ... well, you can guess the rest.

An A$$. A ciuccia is a donkey or burro. Members of the Ass family. In other words. if I knew that I wasn't going to be able to have a ciggie for 17 hours, I could have stayed outside the security area for another hour. :(

Southern Italians often shorten it to something like "chooch."

Right. Calabrese, Sicillians, Napolitanos, Abruzzese, Lucanians, etc.

I must admit to thinking that smoking would get in the way of harp playing, but since I'd start wheezing as soon as I ever tried to light up, I may be speaking too much relative to me.

A person who is not used to being around smokers WILL have adverse effects. My mother smoked, so I was more acclimated than others. My father smoked big Cuban cigars...but didn't inhale. My mother never smoked around non smokers and she taught me do do likewise. I always smoke outside. I feel sorry especially for musicians, waiters, waitresses, bar tenders for this reason. Those poor people are 'Captive'.

Jo-Zeppi

Aloha,
Drew