Re: [Harp-L] youtube videos on guitar backup for harmonica NOT JUST FOR GUITAR PLAYERS

Richard,

Thanks for that.

I find this very helpful even though I don't play guitar.

The following is my digression from Richard's post.

There's a good guitarist / instructor in my neighbourhood whom I've taken a
couple of lessons from and who has helped enormously to draw my attention to
basics of rhythm.

Keith Dunn's Alone with the blues, is not just harmonica and voice. There's
his foot in there too providing a strong tempo through most of the tunes.

Jason Ricci in his lessons habitually stomps out a steady rhythm.

Here's a video with Little Walter playing behind Koko Taylor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxCa16-nxtM Unfortunately the sound is off
(out of synch with the video), but at about 1:50, I find it instructive to
watch Little Walter's legs, how he shifts every two beats from right to left
leg. And you can a good idea of the rhythm of the tune just from watching
him. How does he play the way he does? A lot has to do with his attention to
the groove and feel of the songs he plays.

Rhythm is in the whole body and it can be real subtle. I watched Keb Mo this
year at Mont Tremblant (Quebec) play "She just wants to dance" on dobro,
with his teenage son on snare. From the first beat to the last, Keb Mo was
"in" the tune with his whole body -- nothing wild and fancy, just
unbelievably good the way he established and stayed in the groove. Just
found this video from his Ottawa performance
of the song. It's subtle, but watch his body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dnhX8tPWys

I'm working with a looper these days and this is another way to lay down a
rhythm and I think a lot of what Richard says applies here.
(Slide Man Slim recently posted an impressive example of both guitar
and harp using a loop effect. The tune was How High the Moon).

Madcat's posting today just underlines the importance and impact of rhythm
and groove. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kof1dCpOgQI Note how minimal
Madcat's foot percussion is.

John Kerkhoven
Montreal