Re: [Harp-L] harmoniums and bandoneons

I've owned one I acquired from a church in Newark NJ back in the 60's and it
had pump pedals, I enjoyed playing it,,,,,

If you bought it from a church in Newark, I'd be shocked if it was a harmonium. And damn jealous too. Who was the manufacturer?

There is a difference between harmoniums in specific and reed organs in general. The most common form of reed organ is the "American organ" type, which is fairly different from the harmonium.

Another Harp player that plays Harmonium is my friend John Sebastian Jr.
check out:
THE ROOM NOBODY LIVES IN....

A nice track, and I'd bet money it is an American organ and not a harmonium. The tone is more mellow, and relaxed than the usual harmonium sound. This was achieved through a process of voicing the reeds which the harmonium didn't use, so the harmonium tends to sound more brash and typically free-reed like.

I came up with a better analogy than the piano-clavichord one: a harmonium is to a reed organ as a tremolo is to a harmonica. The harmonium is a type of reed organ; the tremolo is a type of harmonica.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'