Re: [Harp-L] anybody identify this harp?

I just got a response from the German Harmonica and Accordion Museum
regarding my inquiry about my mystery chromatic harp.  Mr. Häffner
tells me that he and his colleagues were not able to positively
identify it, but that he believes it was made by Köstler, probably in
the early 1950's.  He says this was the only company making good
harmonicas in "Western Germany" besides Hohner, and that this
particular harmonica was not made by Hohner.  He also confirms that it
was post WWII due to the labeling.  He went on to say, "Your harmonica
isn't a musical sensation, but a rarity."  So it's fun to know that
much.

I have been unable so far to find any historical information about the
Köstler company on the web, but Mr. Häffner indicated that they are
included in the museum's book "Hohner and their many competitors -
Harmonicamakers of Germany and Austria".  I guess I'll hit the library
and see if I can find a copy.  I have found a couple of images of
other Köstler harmonicas, but none resemble mine.  and they also
include maker markings on them.  Of course, these could be from
another company that was trying to horn in on the better-known
company's name.  I'll keep digging for more confirmation of his expert
testimony.

I just wanted to follow up and let anyone who was curious know the
progress of my informal investigation.

Seth

--
The beatings will continue until morale has improved.