Re: [Harp-L] chromatic care

On Nov 26, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

Smo-Joe wrote, re how to use a cigarette rolling paper to realign a reed:

You place a paper under the reed and jimmy the reed into the slot. (I use a
needle). The paper will wish to be equal on BOTH sides.

Joe, thanks for replying, but I still don't understand. Maybe I would
understand if I tried it but the above explanation is unclear to me.

Don't worry about it Ron, it's old technology. We don't need to use it any more, but what I was saying is that if you 'nest' a reed into a cigarette paper, and then gently push the reed into the slot, the thickness of the paper is about the right thickness to center the reed. Key word here is 'gently'. You may need to make small adjustments with a needle, but the paper will help ease the reed in evenly. Waxed paper would make this maneuver easier but it is way too thick (and stiff).

Besides, none of my harps need work at this time.

That's good. Mine are ok too. In fact, I only used this when replacing chromatic reeds

It may be a moot point since I get great results by using my Joe Spiers
type embossing station with a light under the reed so i can see any
misalignment.

Right on. Nowadays, we have people like Joe (and others) who are more advanced (technologically). I would go with that. I only offer my methods as a bit of history and to show that YES, people have always worked on harps. Since the very beginning. Remember, the first person who BUILT a harp worked on it.

I view the reed thru reading glasses and a magnifying glass which is held
above the reed plate. Then I use a reed wrench to move the reed into
alignment.

I use a large diameter strong powered lens 'Dazor' lamp. My wife uses it for something called 'petit-point'. It might be 10 power?
Sorry it took so long to answer as I have been out of town for a couple weeks, and my computer was in the shop all the while.

smo-joe

ron
AOL.com.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new- dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002)