Subject: [Harp-L] Chromonica II De Luxe

it's probably something somebody used as a repair ...or as a ''cushion'
under the coverplates to deaden the sound or block air leakage.  There is  much
discussion on slidemeister about just how to make chroms air-tight or fix a
crack in a wood body.

What you might want to do is take good photos of it and send them to Dave
Payne...he's really good at chromatic repair and ferreting out the history of
older chroms...and has been very generous in giving his time here and on
slidemeister to help people work on them...or post them yourself here  or there to
get input from anyone else who might have seen something like  it before. The
reality is that a lot of chromatic players post only on  slidemeister and
don't come to harp-l.

I highly doubt it came from the factory with anything remotely resembling
caulk.

How to remove it will be the $64,000 question. :)

Elizabeth

Message: 10
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 05:23:01 GMT
From:  "jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx" <jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Are the Chromonica II De  Luxes supposed to have some sort of weird
caulk-like stuff on the inside or did  someone do an experiment with mine?  If you are
not familiar with this  harp, it is like the one on the cover of Man Bites
Harmonica by Toots.   There not supposed to be the best harps in the world but I
fell in love with the  way it looks.  It plays OK but I am a little worried
about the goo.   This is one that has the thick brass reedplates instead of the
aluminum.   Has anyone worked on these.  Is there anything I should know
before I open  it up?  Here is a link to a  picture.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000000Z5Y/ref=dp_image_text_0?ie=UTF8
&n=5174&s=music

AOL.com.