Re: [Harp-L] Amp replacement

Frank, you will get a lot of good advice because there are a lot of good
options.  Richard Hunter's Digitech RP250 method is an excellent way to go.
I have used the POD and the Behringer V-Amp both with good results.  The
V-Amp modeler costs a lot less than the POD and sounds just as good for
harp.

But, there is a lot to be said for using an amp (I prefer tube amps) and
running a line out to the PA.  First, I prefer the tone of amps, and second,
having an amp behind you gives you your own stage monitor.  That can be a
lot better than trying to hear yourself through the wedge monitors of the PA
system, and you are not at the mercy of the sound guy (or the lack of a
sound guy).

If your amp does not have a line out, I recommend the Hughes & Kettner Red
Box DI.  It takes a tap from your speaker wires -- with all the power tube
goodness -- and creates a line-level feed for the mixing board.  It also has
an analog cab emulation that I like for harp.

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-hughes-kettner-red-box-pro.html