Re: [Harp-L] any good solo pieces

Joe glover wrote:
<hey does anyone know any good solo harp pieces that are good?

Joe, you didn't specify the style you're interested in, or the level of difficulty, so not easy to hit the bullseye on the first try.

However, I have released two CDs of pieces composed and arranged for solo harmonica: "The Act of Being Free in One Act," and "The Second Act of Free Being."  You can hear a number of pieces from the CDs on my website at http://hunterharp.com/mp3s.html, or at http://broadjam.com/rhunter.

About 25% of my solo repertoire is blues of one sort or another.  The rest includes jazz standards and original compositions, some of which are more reminiscent of 20th century art music composers like Bartok and Debussy than of blues.

I use 6 different diatonic tunings on my pieces, so it's not always easy to figure out what tuning was used for a particular piece.  Most of my pieces are played on standard tunings, natural minors, melody makers, and country tuned harps, more or less in that order.  I also use dorian minors and harmonica minors for a few pieces.  ( I also play real-time counterpoint--two independent lines--on some of them, but that's a different discussion.)

You can find the CDs if you're interested on Amazon.com and CDBaby.com.  If you check out the websites or the CDs and want more information on any of the pieces, let me know.

Regards, Richard Hunter