Re: [Harp-L] the difference between funk and blues;a response to JR Ross

Yes Bill; Mainstream, AM radio. We didn't have FM band in Oz till 1976;
"The first use of FM in Australia was for public broadcasting - 2MBS and 3MBS - the fine music stations. The ABC entered the medium in 1976 with the establishment of ABC-FM based in Adelaide." - this from: http://www.radio.adelaide.edu.au/intro/history_OZ-radio.pdf
In fact the tertiary education institution for whom I work (RMIT) had the first FM station in Melbourne, and that was in 1977, if memory serves.
My family had no TV till 1974, and no record player even (unless you count the clockwork gramophone that I played by Grandpa's old brass band 78s on) until my sister got  a little portable in about '68. We hated all the 'heavy' stuff like Zep, Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge etc. etc, so we certainly didn't have any of their records, and the only place I could hear that kind of stuff was on radio; AM, mainstream radio.
I think you might find the same kind of thing happened in the UK too, where radio has generally been fairly broad in it's embrace of popular music (particularly the BBC) Don't forget it was the Poms (and probably the BBC) who launched Hendrix' career.
Oz was very much an Anglophile country back in those days, and we took our cues from that quarter rather than the US.
RD

>>> <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx> 28/08/2008 12:07 >>>
"Zep were on mainstream radio"

Well they are now as well, all over the world. Question is, what year are you talking about? I very much doubt that "back in the day" which is the time period that Mike references, that Zep was on 'pop' radio in Oz in the early-mid 70's when they were in their heydey. It was fringe then, 'outlandish' music at the time when the longish haired Monkees and Beatles were being accepted in the mainstream because at least their long hair was well kept and styled, as opposed to these new breed of rebels (and hey their music wasn't half bad either, at least by popular opinion).

Even so, I know Mike is a US guy so i framed my question around that. I know he's younger than me so my retort was somewhat tongue in cheek to the 'whippersnapper' because by his day, it was probably all mixed into mainstream radio, as it is today (and I don't have a problem with that, I love the station I listen to because they play the best of everything!). I just didn't like the image of my and the gang listening to 'pop' music back then. Ruins my distorted and self-inflated recollections, haha.

Harp content: Did Plant play all the harp on the Zep cuts that had it? I seem to remember some cuts, like maybe one on the Presence album, that seemed to be in a different league than what I had heard from him in the older cuts, which are the short passable front-guy harp licks sort of like what Fogerty plays in Run Through the Jungle and Chrissy Hynde plays on some Pretenders tunes?

It's all music, and it's all good, that's for sure. No worries mate!

Bill

From: "Rick Dempster" <rick.dempster@xxxxxxxxxxx>