[Harp-L] Re: Why do you want to play blues?

Growing up in the outer suburbs of Melbourne at a time when Australia was
enjoying some lucky times, I should, by rights, have no claims to the Blues.
But there it is. I'm just a white boy lost in the blues. The road to this is
has been paved by many songs that I thought at the time were this thing
called rock and roll. Only to find that Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Blood Sweat
and Tears, Steely Dan, Eagles, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Cold Chisel, AC/DC
etc where all borrowing from the deeper traditions, of Blues, Jazz, Country,
and Folk. And more power to them. Everything we ever play has all been done
before by some Sheppard boy with a nose flute anyway. It's the way that is
done that counts. Oh yeah, and there was this song by Sugar Blue called
'Another Man Done Gone' that pretty much sealed the deal with the Harmonica.

I think it is the accent on finding your own voice in blues that has
attracted me. I have never really thought of the blues as a sadsack thing,
but more upbeat, self deprecating, humourous, primal sexual, even daggy
thing. If you don't have a story to tell youv'e got nothing. In a world
where global forces would prefer that everyone drank Starbuck's and had
dental insurance for their 2.3 pets, I like this.

Regards Chris Canning