[Harp-L] Hohner Reeds

I ordered a bunch of new sp20s from Cascio Interstate Music
and after an initial scare that they were too bright sounding
they now seem like the sp20s of old and I'm happy. Not sure
if they're different because I torture my harp till it
tortures me back and then I toss it aside and pick up a new
one. Hard to do an A/B when my style/technique is constantly
changing. Perhaps I unconsciously adapt to any differences.

BTW, none of the new ones that I've checked have the date stamp
on the reed plates, and since some of these were back-ordered I
think I'm safe presuming that they are newly minted ones from
Germany.

Thanks for the info.

Shockley

Shockley wrote:

How hard do you have to look to see the stamped number on the plates? I
bought a few Special 20s a few years ago -- may have been pre-2005 -- and
just started using them in the last year or so. This thread got me curious
so I looked but I do not see any printing on either side of either reed
plate.

BTW I LOVE my Special 20s.

Shockley

Steve Baker Replied:

I'm talking about clearly legible numbers stamped into the brass of the reed plate, you can't miss them. The MS reed plates were printed (with the calendar week and year instead of month & year, e.g. 32/01) for a while but this practice appears to have been discontinued. Older classic reed plates have no date stamp, which means that yours are presumably are fitted with the stiffer reeds beloved of some in this list. Maybe someone will make you an offer ....

Steve