Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Overdrive Video; Lapel Mics

Hi Brendan -

Probably not what you're looking for, but....

http://www.countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=5&catid=10

I work with a teeny, tiny countryman B6 lavalier condensor mic (requires phantom power). I special ordered the low sensitivity version because I keep the mic attached directly to the back of my cx12 and these mics are very hot. It set me back about $350. Countryman makes both uni and omni directional versions, but I chose omni since I'm cupping around the mic and it sounded better to me when I tried them back-to-back. I haven't had much in the way of feedback problems.

I'm actually not trying to get any distortion, but this mic will overload easily. I have to change my hand position a bit with respect to the mic to avoid distortion when playing anything but single notes. I basically move my hand so the mic is slightly outside of the cup and that gives me a clean sound for chording. But I especially love the single note sound of this mic inside the cup! It is very warm but with plenty of sweet high end.

As for the volume control, I use a volume pedal.

I'll have it with me at SPAH (with preamp, etc..), would be happy to let you try it if you're interested....

- Slim.

Brendan Power wrote:
LAPEL MICS
I've been experimenting with lapel mics to get a fat distorted sound
with hand effects, and really love them. However, there are a couple of
drawbacks:
1. They are mostly omnidirectional and a bit prone to feedback, and 2. They don't come with volume control (or not the ones I've found)
Is anyone else using lapel mics? I'd be interested to hear of your
comments.