Re: [Harp-L] HELP!!!

So, you are in Elkins, which would be in the great state of West Virginia, my home, although I'm on the exact other end of the state in Parkersburg.     The only thing you will be able to teach kids in 30 minutes, especially a large group of kids is a chord rhythm and maybe a lick or two, other that that they will be on there own. There are things you can show them, like making a single note, but that's really all they'll be able to mimic and walk away with.   This works best if you have a guitar or something they can play along with.   But basically, what they will leave with is a harmonica and hopefully some inspiration. If you have 30 kids, maybe two will be inspired to play and stick with it, if you can do that, you've done your job.   You will be able to teach them very little that they'll remember. Your job is to inspire and give them the tools to take off on their own.  I'm well-known for my dismissal of harmonica tabs, but with kids, I make an exception. They need
 it. Photocopy some tabs and give it to them. Is there a harp teacher in Elkins or Randolph County somewhere? If so, give them the contact info, if the harp case is cardboard, write it on the harp case, so they won't lose it. I am the only harp teacher in West Virginia I know of and I'm on the other side of the state, but that doesn't mean somebody's not out there under the radar.      I'd talk a little about West Virginia's harp heritage. The Scottish immigrants brought the fiddles, the Italian immigrants brought the mandolins and West Virginia harp heritage is down in the coalfields, where they were introduced by black miners. White miners and black miners shared a lot musically and some of the best harmonica players of all time came out of the southern appalachians. The first white man to record a blues song was Frank Hutchison, also a fine harp player, but he didn't play his harp in his blues.
  Dave
  _____________________
Dave Payne Sr.
  Elk River Harmonicas
  www.elkriverharmonicas.com

Trip Henderson <trip.tunes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Its time this that i'm glad to have harp-l as a resource to call on. i'm
down in elkins west virginia doing some teaching (old-time harp) and
learning (singing) and i've been asked to do a children's harp workshop at
this Saturday's big outdoor festival. so, my question is, what's a fun
involving lesson plan for a single 30 minute workshop for kids - anyone out
there with some experience doing something like this? i asked the Augusta
staff to order a bunch of inexpensive harps in the key of C from elderly
instruments and they will be here today. i want something everyone can dig
into...ideas much appreciated!!!!
thanks in advance!

--
Trip