[Harp-L] re: Harmonica in pop music: Joe Satriani (or why blues must change or die.)

I agree that Joe Satriani deviates from what we consider blue.  People need to do something different with the blues or it will cease to be an original art form.  Everything seems like a rehash now a days.  We do have artists like Otis Taylor and, don't hate me for this, the White Stripes who are trying to take the blues down another road.  It is good for the blues.  I think to many blues harp players are concerned more about having a badass image than they are in taking the instrument to new levels.  That is why you can go to any town in the US (sorry everyone else, only been to Haiti and Mexico and did not get a chance to check out their harp scenes) and hear virtually the same band where ever you go.  I am not a great player, so it is a little presumptuous of me to so this, but I challenge you great players, do something new.  Respect the tradition but take it and run with it.  Don't spend all your time looking back, forge ahead.  Do something that will earn the harp some respect for being the musical instrument that it is.  That is my 2 cents I suppose.  I just get sick of hearing song after song that I liked better when they were called "Hootchie Cootchie Man".  I am a pretty crappy harp player so feel free to disregard this message.
    Thanks Shawn for the info on Satriani.  I have not heard any of his albums past "Flying".  I may have to check them out.

Message:  5
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:21:45 +0000
From: Shawn Williams  <swilliamsffpm@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Harmonica in pop music: Joe  Satriani
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

The cd is called 'The Extremist".  i have 3 cd's of his that came out after
Flying..  there is a self titled  cd that is all blues. Joe Satriani blues mind
you, he has his own style, but i  love that cd. more mellow and very bluesey.
he has a very blues influenced  style anyway. i was inspired to try more harp
in rock songs that my band plays  after hearing his harp work.

From: "jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx"  <jcolbyspell@xxxxxxxx>Subject: Re: [Harp-L]

Harmonica in pop music: Joe  Satriani, ok maybehe is rock"I saw a Joe Satriani
video for a song called the  Extremist. It had him playing harp on it. Then I
remembered back to his Flying  in a Blue Dream album that had lots of harp on
it. I even remembered him  talking in a guitar magazine about the probability
that he will never be that  great at the harmonica because of TMJ syndrome. The
Extremist is not on that  album so he must have played on more than
one."Shawnhttp://code29band.comhttp://www.myspace.com/bosqueblues

Click to become an artist and quit your boring job.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iifPHnXEkHidzx6g2roaeUrYnauWsq7DXki1nhMvG3kjNtHGI/