[Harp-L] Re: Mandolin

I play an old Gibson A-Jr., probably the cheapest Gibson A model you can
find, and love it.  It was made to the same specs as the more expensive
models, only without inlays and with a dark finish, possibly hiding grain
that was not cosmetically up to the more expensive models.  Ry Cooder played
one years ago, which is good enough for me.  The oval hole A models were the
most popular style among Old Time players in California back in the 60s and
Blues guitarist John Cephas said that they were also the favorite among
blues mandolinists.

There are two types of necks on these models: the snake-head type has a
narrow neck, making it easier to fret two courses with one finger, and the
paddle-head has a wider neck, easier for bigger fingers.  I have the
paddle-head variety and have no difficulty in fretting.

Best regards,
Rick Epping