Re: [Harp-L] Sweet Georgia Brown Question

Hi, Harp-l!

> My question: since what I'm doing is playing a tune in Ab on a Bb
> harp, technically I'm not in 2nd position, right? so what position
> is this? Or since the tune starts out with lots of F7 and Bb7, am i
> sort of in 2nd position? Could the tune be said to be in F when it
> begins? i know jazz tunes tend to move around in terms of their
> tonal centers...anyway, obviously i still have a lot to learn about harmony :-)
> WVa Bob
Howard Levy in his "New directions..." plays Sw.G.Brown with four
different diatonics in one key of F (first chord is D, the last is F).
His favourite harp for this tune is G.

I play it usually with Bb harp
in the key af Ab, and I think like starting tune in 2nd pos.
myxolidian (F), and then goes to Eb lydian (the same notes, but other
tonic!) and then to 2nd position natural minor (relatively mainor to
Ab) with avoiding note A (3 and 7 draw). Very blues-like thing.

--
Boris Plotnikov
http://myspace.com/harmonicaboris