Re: [Harp-L] harps made in China

The whole discussion on human rights and goods production thereof can be viewed in different diamensions. And it depends on the level of attitude to the product itself and its manufacturing process and alike.

For instance, I saw some beautiful furniture maded by slaves in the U.S. which was of very high standard, quality and practical use. Very rigid. It was so beautifully made that I thought to myself that it would be a pleasure to have such furtniture at home. Yes, those slaves were treated well - good food and attitude, but they were not free and were kept in one place by force, which is bad. I heard that some of the jewelry products of very high quality have been produced by people who were treated bad but they had the best tools.

For instance in my home country prices for cars and real estate as 1.7 times higher than say in the United States and people have incomes at least 10 times less. And I personally think that it's anti-human environment (It's not that visible to the outside world compared to situations in some other countries where workers are working in extremely bad conditions - litterally with no shoes on, etc. and for less than 1 dollar a day, etc. - just another level of inhumanity). Still some things of high quality are being produced in my country and sent to U.S. and Western Europe. And people there are quite happy with the products (sometimes even not realizing where the product comes from originally) and nobody argues about anti-humanity, etc.

I'm not advocating and not calling for some kind of attitude regarding goods made in China or anywere else. But I'd like to say that our attitude to this or that product is subject to how much we know or how close we take certain facts. So, it's rhetorical and philosophical issue.

>>> "Randy Sandoval" <randyharps@xxxxxxxxxxx> 24.04.2008 19:56:30 >>>
For myself  I hate to buy Chinese goods more due to the lack of human rights in general.
Its a political thing.  And I HATE politics.