[Harp-L] In line volume control....or not?

Hi, Farkey

The MC-127 element is extremely load sensitive. If you could only play into a no-load circuit, it would sound better than you've ever heard it - but there is no such thing. Start with your amp - is its input 1Mohm or has it been modified for 5M ohm impedance? 5 is better, because any other devices that put a resistor across the inputs, including a volume control, will lower the overall impedance, and it is better to start from 5 than 1. To get the absolute best from your element, you want a 5Mohm input on your amp and NOTHING else in the chain. If you buy a control from me, I make an "extra-hi- impedance" version for crystal mics that will minimize this effect but it will not eliminate it. I don't know how the Danecho pedal is wired, but it may also rob some tone.

There is no free lunch, I'm afraid, but often you can compensate to some degree with changes in your tone settings - and for many this is an acceptable compromise because the increased control and convenience of a good volume control is indeed valuable.

Hoπe that helps

/Greg Heumann

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net