From: Jonathan Ross <jross38@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 5:42:40 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Spirit harmonica

The Spirit harp seems to be something that Planetone is still
developing and not yet on the market.  The most interesting part on
their website is the comb, the design of which allows any set of reed-
plates to be swapped in.  I'm sure the specifics will be such that
not "any" set will work (for instance, Marine Bands would probably
need to be tapped for screws, Seydels have a different reed-to-reed
spacing so might not work) but it is a very interesting idea, sort of
taking Lee Oskar's modular approach a step further.

For now, Planetone has a line-up of fairly standard harmonicas which
they are selling, reviews of which can be found here:

http://www.patmissin.com/reviews/planetone.html

These appear to be fairly typical Chinese-made harps, with some
specific features differentiating them from others, though nothing
Earth-shattering.  There are some nice features, for instance the
tremolo has enclosed reed-plates so if you don't like the feel (or
all too often the sharp edges) of exposed reed-plates in your mouth
this would be worth checking out.  Basically they are going for the
lower end of the market traditionally served by people like Huang and
Seydel/Weltmeister (who seem to be moving upmarket in terms of
quality control lately), a logical place to start.

The Spirit harp would seem to be something different, a truly new
design which would be aimed more at the mid to high range of the
market.  I hope it comes to market soon, as it sounds like an
interesting idea.

Dave Payne writes:

"Words 7-9 in paragraph No. 2 will ensure I will never buy one."

Those words are "made in China".  If this is political, then that's
your choice.  If this is because you think that high quality
harmonicas (or even average quality) cannot be made in China, than
you have already been proven wrong.  The company which makes the
Golden Cup range of lower-end harmonicas also produces the excellent
Leo Shi Bass (actually a baritone, and now sadly hard to find).  This
is as well made and designed a harmonica as any stock model I own,
and the quality control was excellent, better by far than many
instruments I've bought from Seydel or Hohner, for instance (and
that's not in the distant past), certainly on par with Suzuki or Lee
Oskar (though I have a sample of one Leo Shi, and desperately want
more, compared to many of these others so it's possible I got an
exceptional example, but I doubt that from talking with others who
have Leo Shi harps).

For the most part harmonica production in China is aimed at the lower-
end of the market right now, with the idea of making instruments to
be sold at the lowest price possible.  But there is no reason to
think that an average or better quality instrument could not be made
in China (and, again, it has been shown to be possible) given the
desire and opportunity.  Let's not forget that ten years ago the idea
that Seydel could produce a top-end, innovative instrument with
consistent quality would have been laughable.

  ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'