Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

----- Original Message ----
From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Robert Coble <robertpcoble@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:47:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] RE: Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

Bob wrote:
Perhaps those on the list with connections to Seydel could see if the Seydel engineers
would be willing (or would be allowed) to divulge the results of their tests on the
expected difference in longevity between brass and stainless steel reeds. For
competitive reasons, Seydel may not want the results of those tests to become
common knowledge. I'd bet that such tests have already been done;

.  You bring up a very good point about the competitiveness of this. Before the 1847, other makers could probably blow off Seydel.  I bet now there's not a harp manufacturer on earth who isn't trying to reverse engineer this thing right now.
Industrial knowledge is a strange thing... as a newspaperman, I know taking pictures at a chemical plant is a big deal, in fact, they rarely will let us do it. they always supply their own pics, they take them, then send them to their guys in white suits, who look over the picture carefully. I've been told something as seemingly insignificant as the location of a pump could cost a company millions.
I'm sure Seydel is aware of the interest in their test findings and if it's something they can divulge to the masses, they will, they have been remarkably open about a lot of things. But, good point, this is the harmonica's equivalent of the atomic bomb.

Dave
Dave Payne
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com