[Harp-L] Re: custom quirks

When I first modified my diatonics back around 1998-99 I thought a lot of screws was the way to go.
9 screws made it heavier but it didn't improve the ability to bend notes spot on.
I also started a heated thread on what I thought was  a true custom harp and a modified harp.
A lot of us were getting into the tech business around that time and everyone was calling their harps "custom."
I thought it was a misnomer.

Anyway, the main objective in modifying a harp is to make the half bend and full bend notes hit spot/dead  on.  Lots of screws aren't the answer.  How loud or bright it plays is a players personal  preference but anyone that wants to play the half bend notes fluently needs well gapped and arched reeds not more screws.  A well set up harp will not choke off before the bend note sounds when you play soft. Try that on a 3 draw note. Draw the bend softly.  If you hear a pause of nothing but air between the note sounding and the bend note kicking in the reed is not set up proper.  It has nothing to do with air leaks between the plate and comb.  A reed that lets you bend softly without choking first will also allow you to hit half bends with no effort.

When I was studying harp repair with Jimmy Gordon in 2000 we use to have long talks on the phone while we worked.
He played a harp over the phone for me that he just finished tuning. It had no nails or screws. He just held the reed plates on with his fingers and wailed. He made it clear to me that well set up reeds are the answer to poor playability not the amount of fasteners holding the plates on.

That's when I learned the reeds are the main focus in modifying harps. I rarely set up diatonics these days since most of my business is with chromatic players but I use the same principal with chrome reeds. When i do set up diatonics I use 2 cover plate screws in the front and no more then 3 or 4 screws to fasten the reed plate. It all depends on the size of the screws I have in the shop at the time. Sometimes I'll just reuse the nails and that will work just fine.

When you are in the market for a "customizer" you should ask if they modify the reeds as well. If they don't bend like I described above you aren't getting your money's worth.
Anyone that wants to get into the custom business should make that their first goal.  Focus on the reeds first and the cosmetics second.

One last note. reeds take time to settle after modifying.  Even if a harp tech can pass the bend test he/she will have to play or "plink" the reeds for a minimum of 2-3 weeks to make sure the gap is stable.  I know one harp tech that plinks the reeds for several months before shipping them to the customer.  He is a true master craftsman.

mike
www.harmonicarepair.com

> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 20:00:34 -0700 (PDT)