Re: [Harp-L] Fatigue and Reed Life: An Objective Test?

This sounds like something that would be more feasible in a Consumer Reports
type of laboratory setting than on a public stage, even at a harmonica
convention or festival.

 I say Consumer Reports (which lab and road tests consumer goods) because the
test should test for things a harmonica player would likely do to a harmonica
while actually playing one, not some abstract test of the supersonic
capabilities of a high reed before it "fails."

Not only should the goal be to determine how long a reed made of a given
material lasts but to set up a test that can be replicated and validated.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Continuing to collect anecdotes about reed failure or longevity may -- or may
not -- provide the possible range of experience. But collecting personal
stories may miss the example that happened to a player without a computer or
Internet connection. Lab tests -- with proper scientific controls -- with every
reed material subjected to identical stress tests would reveal the complete range
of experience without bias or favoritism.

At the same time -- or another time -- some kind of a graphic sound spectrum
test (mmm good) might show any relationship between the quality of sound
produced (as opposed to simple noise) and level of reed stress/failure.

This in turn could provide useful information about how playing styles/air
pressure could affect not only reed longevity but sound production -- how the
player can get the best sound out of a harmonica without destroying the reeds.

Now this would be news everyone could use.

Conventional Wisdom -- which is frequently wrong -- says that the more costly
a harmonica, the better the reeds and the longer the reeds will last. But
sometimes -- and industry insiders such as Mr. Brendan (and others) could bear
this out -- the reason some harmonicas cost more than others even by the same
company is because of the materials used in the combs, reed plates, covers,
screws, welds and craftsmanship in assembly -- not just the materials used in the
reeds and THEIR manufacture.

This is not to say all reeds are created equal by the same firm, but perhaps
the midline reeds are very similar to topline reeds. As I recall, MS reed
plates by Hohner fit a variety of models ranging from the Big River on up.   (Not
to single out Hohner, I personally own several brands -- most recent
acquisitions: Seydel chromes and diatonics.)

Are stainless steel reeds longer lasting? Better sounding? Or do other brand
reeds compare favorably? There may indeed be differences in the lab -- that
may or may not affect a buyer's choice.

It's like that materials test at SPAH several years ago: Nobody could tell
the difference between comb materials.

But one player later said: "I don't care what the tests showed; I still like
the taste of wood."

Phil Lloyd