[Harp-L] Custom Quirks

Lots of talk 'bout their value. I have yet to bite; mostly for the reason another lister stated. Once I get the one I'll want thirty or forty of them. I really should get some but up till now I've concentrated on working on my own harps. I have some questions about making them airtight.

1) Have customizers settled on a fairly standard screw hole pattern or do they all exercise their own preferences? What do you recommend?

2) Any customs have screws at the front of the comb tines? I tried this with (mostly) success using 0-80 screws but it is risky and if the cover plates are sufficient for keeping the front of the reedplates flush to the comb then I'd rather not use the screws.

3) Why does Mr. Harrison use only cover plate screws at the front. Most others seem to use four screws.

I hope pressing for answers to these questions don't ruffle any feathers. The best customizers might like to guard the deep magic of their craft but I get a general sense they don't mind divulging the principles because reed work takes lots of skill.Knowing what we're trying to accomplish and being able to acheive it is what seperates the pros from the rest of us hacks.

Paul

Be a better friend, newshound, and