Re: [Harp-L] Home recording

Hi Gary,

I use both Macs and PCs, but prefer my Mac. I think Macs have a lot of advantages, especially for audio, and are definitely more stable. I also find that they are a lot more fun to use. When I use a Mac I totally enjoy the experience. When I use my PCs, especially with Vista, it is work, and usually frustrating or annoying in some way at least once during every  session. Also, on a Mac I feel safe in every respect. When I use my PC I am always worried and nervous that it is going to crash, causing me to have a nervous twitch in my left hand as I type, uncontrollably doing a CTRL-S to save everything constantly so I don't loose all my work at the next crash. I also sick of worrying about viruses, malware, adware, trojans and you name it every time I turn on the PC, and I resent all the time I have to devote to running anti virus, anti adware, etc. to protect me from something that is virtually nonexistant on a Mac.

For starting out simple, just go with the software that comes with whatever interface or mixer you end up buying. For me that was Cubase, but I also like Audacity for the Mac which is FREE open source software (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/).

For simplicity, like I have said already, nothing beats a mixer in my opinion. It is a lot more intuitive I believe to reach over and fiddle with a real knob during the process of playing while recording yourself than it is to coordinate a mouse and cursor on a screen. It is also something that just feels more familiar. By the way, once you record the tracks, even using the mixer, you can still go in the software and work with them just as you would have while recording on an interface directly, so you only gain and don't loose whatever the software gives you, at least at this level.

Here is a good page about mixers for home recording, and the site also has pages on going mixerless and also using what they call control surfaces to mix on the software but with a physical board that controls the software (makes it work like you have an external mixer more or less):
http://www.tweakheadz.com/choosing_a_mixer_for_your_studio.html

One of the best sources of information for me was my local Guitar Center. I didn't even buy everything from them, since I got much of my setup on eBay, but they are more than willing to help. I got very lucky since the manager of that aection of the store was a recording engineer at a local studio as well, so knew everything. He was also a nice guy, so helped me quite a bit. If you are lucky, you may find someone like that at your local music store.

- Robert
www.rawfoodlife.com