Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas - Worth It?

I like the straw simile. I have customs in the keys that I use most - A, C,
D.   And I do some work on my other diatonics (wouldn't know where to begin
with my chromatics). However, I like to practice with stock harps. I don't
necessarily do this to baby them (though at $55 per repair job, it's not a
bad idea) but as a long-time swimmer, I liken it to training with a drag
suit. Once you take the drag suit off, every movement is faster, more
fluid....effortless.

Yes,excellent customs do suffer reed fatigue / failure (for me, as long as
I've been playing, it's always, always, always the 4 blow reed.   Always.)
But I would agree that they last longer.  Is it because of something
material / mechanical?  Is it because they take less effort to play?   Is it
because we take better care of them? Could be a combination of the three -
at least in my case..........but the difference is fairly dramatic.  The
first thing you'll probably notice is the increased volume / brightness
along with the playability.

 - BAT