Re: [Harp-L] Home recording

Robert Ross wrote:
<Definitely go with firewire, though it is a little more expensive, because it is <more likely to be able to support full 24-bit/96kHz which I believe USB
<cannot.  The lowest cost entry is a simple interface, which you can
<get for $200-300. M-Audio Firewire 410 is a nice on on sale a
<zzounds.com. But I suspect you want something a little higher end and
<better quality.

First, even USB 1.1 interfaces like the Tascam 122L and Line6 UX2 will support 24  bit/96kHz.  But it's the 24 bits that makes the biggest difference--most people won't hear the difference between 24 bit/44.1kHz and 24 bit/96kHz, especially when the final output is rendered to an MP3.

Second, the audio quality of these interfaces is plenty good enough to make keeper recordings on--you'd have to spend 3-4 times as much to hear a big difference, and in most cases you'd have to upgrade the monitors significantly to hear it.  The audio quality isn't any better for Firewire interfaces--the real difference is that Firewire will support a higher track count, because it moves more data faster.  If you don't need more than 2-in/2-out, then you don't need to spend more money to get more inputs.

<I started out with an Alesys MultiTrack 8 Fireware mixer myself
<because it was not very expensive (about $400 when I got it 2 years
<ago, now around $300) and I like to control the mix on the input end
<rather than in the mac. You only need an 8 track because you are only
<recording a couple of guys and instruments. If you want room to
<expand go for a 16.
<A mixer gives a lot more control than a simple mic interface. I
<highly recommend that personally for home recording. There are
<several out there to choose from of varying degrees of budget and
<quality, with decent ones under $500, and going up into the
<thousands. Phonic offers the most bang for the buck, with 8 tracks at
<under $300 and 16 tracks under $500. For a step up if you want I like
<the new M-Audio NRV10 Firewire Mixer on paper, haven't seen it in
<action though, at around $700. Mackie and Behringer make several.
<Korg would be more high end at around $1500+ for an 8 track with
<firewire.

This I really don't get.  One of the great things about having a good recording program is that you can mix "in the box," i.e. inside the computer--you don't need to bother with the external hardware.  You don't need the control you get from the mixer if all you need is a couple of inputs--you only need the mixer if you're making recordings that require 8-16 inputs, and even then you can put the inputs on the audio interface and mix in the box.

So in general, I find it hard to agree with a lot of the stuff above, especially if we're taking about a simple recording setup.  Why spend tw or three times as much as you have to if all you're recording is guitar and vocals?

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter