Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas - Worth It?

Hi Wolf

Am Dienstag, 15. April 2008 schrieb Wolf Kristiansen:
> I would love to have customized harmonicas.  However,
> I assume the reeds get fatigued at the the same rate
> as those in stock harmonicas.

If customizing includes reed polishing (and done properly) the reeds
will last significantly longer.

> I'm not well off.  I can't justify buying expensive
> customized harmonicas that I will eventually throw
> away. I'm too frugal.

Customizers usually offer repair service. They will simply replace any
broken or damaged reeds. This is relativly inexpensive.

Whenever i buy a new harp and decide to improve it, i have to spend a
lot of time on that. If i had to pay myself for the time i spend on
it at my usual rate i'd have to spend aproximately the same i have to
spend for a custom harp and my results are still poor compared to a
professional improved one.

When a reed dies on a harp, that i spent hours on to make it play the
way i want, i surely won't throw the whole harp away, i'll replace
the reed. Even if i "only" completely regapped a harp (which takes at
least 1.5 hours in at least two sessions) i'd always replace one reed
instead of regapping 20.

It's the same with customs.
They're made to last a lifetime and when used with care they do!

--
Gruß,Frank