Re: [Harp-L] Recording setups

Hi Gary -

I don't have any experience with ProTools LE or the current version of Logic (which I understand has a new, lower price). But I think if you're only recording yourself and one other player, almost any current model PC or Mac should do the trick (although on the Windows side, most folks I've talked to would recommend XP over Vista for any serious audio application).

Lately, I've been using my MacBook Pro with Cubase 4 and am amazed at the the power available for realtime processing. I can easily stack up over a hundred tracks with tons of effects and some soft synths and still not come close to running out of headroom. We also have two older XP systems (top of the line, circa 2004) running Cubase SE 3 as well as an older version of Cool Edit Pro and those are working just fine, but can't use as many effects before running out of cpu steam.

Point is, for what you describe, just about anything you buy probably has more power than you need ;-). However, a dedicated audio card is still a must for any serious work (M-Audio should be fine, I use a MOTU 896HD). I find it hard to believe I'm saying this because it doesn't seem like that long ago that you needed the very, very best just to get reasonably low latency and decent sound. I must be getting old ;-).

There are ways to spend a lot of money though. You might want to concentrate on finding a mic or two that you really like. I go for a very clean sound and generally prefer large diaphragm (preferably tube) mics for harmonica. Some folks swear that you need a great mic preamp, but I've been having pretty good luck plugging my Rhode NTV directly into my MOTU 896HD. Let your ears be your guide, you may be happy with something simple and inexpensive to get started.

Back when I was a kid..... well let's just say that my first sound-on-sound reel-to-reel tape machine (consumer-grade Ampex) left something to be desired.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com

G. E. Popenoe wrote:
I'm thinking of buying computer and software for composing and recording.

I have the notion to buy an I Mac with the latest operating system and something like Protools LE with a basic M Audio interface.

It is not my objective to have a full recording studio. At most, I may record myself and one other player.

Mainly, I want to be able to record and share files with singer songwriters and other players.

I do not have the budget for the Mac tower. I've found that the PC music computers aren't cheap and I know little about the manufacturers.

I learned from a friend who does audio for television that mix downs must be done in real time in Protools while in Logic this is not the case.

Any words of wisdom?

Gary Popenoe