From: Vern Smith <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: Harp L Harp L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 8:57:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] custom harmonica patents

>  Brad Harrison writes:

> "We are also getting very close to coming out with our own reeds  produced
> here in our shop. We believe this new design and reeds will  launch the
> harmonica into the 21st Century! Jason Ricci along with a  very few select
> Top Pro players will also attest to this."

Having made reeds and small-shop reed-making machines, I have the following
comments.

1. If you can make whole sets of reasonably-priced reeds from stock metal,
my hat will be off to you. Holding .0001" tolerances on tiny parts like
reeds isn't easy!

2. IF you expect the reeds to have perceptibly better sound, I think that
you will be disappointed. If you use a reasonably good spring metal, and the
reeds have about the same stiffness/response to which players have become
accustomed, they won't sound any different from those of the big
manufacturers.  The variation of the flow area as the reed swings through
the slot produces the characteristic harmonica sound and that is the same
for all materials.  The sound of Hering reeds (a little less stiff, more
responsive, and a little less loud) and the sound of Hohner reeds pretty
much covers the available range.  The sound does not come from the reed as
from a bell so the material isn't going to have any perceptible effect on
tone.  Pluck a reed and that's your bell tone.  The thickness profile of the
reed can affect stiffness and response.

3. If you can use stainless or plated steel you might produce reeds less
subject to fatigue. That would be a good thing even though they will have no
distinguishing tone.

Vern

 Compose Email:
jevern@xxxxxxx

Add to Contacts

I'll send some good luck to you with some appropriate German sayings "Es ist noch kein Meister von Himmel gefallen..." and "Das Eisen schieden, so lange es heiss ist."
Craftsmen don't fall from the sky... and hay grows when the sun is hot.

Seriously, good luck.

Dave

Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen. Das Eisen schmieden, so lange es heiß ist.