[Harp-L] slight of tongue 101

A list member asked me offlist how to begin this technique. Here's my
response:

Can you  do a clear octave split w/tongue in the middle (lower end harmonica,
4 holes,  middle two covered w/tongue).

Can you  do three holes, middle one covered w/tongue, upper and lower one
sounding? (This  is a major or minor sixth, or a fifth usually, on the lower
end).

Can you  do 5 holes, covering the three in the middle w/tongue? (This is a
major or minor  10th usually, on the lower end).

Can you  pick one and go right to it? Remember, you have to do it on the
inhale as well  as the exhale.

When  you can do this with ease, hit the 4 hole octave split and, without
interrupting  the air flow, change it to a 3 or 5 hole split, keeping either the
highest note  or the lowest note the same.

It took  me a few weeks to learn to do a three hole split alone comfortably -
same with 5  hole split.
You've  got to put in the time (however long it takes) to create the
component  parts before you can put them into motion.

If you  start getting frustrated at any step of the way, stop immediately.
Pushing  through frustration is non-productive, as you've got to relax.