Re: [Harp-L] ?

On Apr 7, 2008, at 5:07 PM, Richard Hunter wrote:

Smokey Joe wrote:

<I have been going to the conventions for a long time and never heard
<a melody/country/whatever played at the blues jams (it just doesn't
<fit well). I don't think I have ever heard anyone other than me use
<one on a show nite.

If you were at SPAH 1998, Buckeye 1999, or SPAH 2007,

No King Richard the Lion Harp-ed. I wasn't at Spah 98, nor Buckeye 99. I didn't do anything those 2 years. But I WAS at spah 2007 and..yes, I DID hear you play the Melody Maker. I stand corrected, but I guess when I hear you or Charlie play them, you are so fluid that I don't think of it as different.

you hear me play a country tuning from the main stage on my solo arrangement of "Billy The Kid." At the same performances at SPAH 1998 and Buckeye 1999, I used a Melody Maker to perform my piece "Big 17."

I heard you in 97? Maybe it WAS 98. I'm getting old. I DO remember talking to you at spah Milwaukee 07 and I seem to remember we DID cover the Melody Maker quite a bit.

I think country tuning fits fine with blues.

Because of the sharped 5th note, I would think certain warbles and shakes would be tough. Especially with any speed. I know that there are several country and 'grass' tunes that don't work too well as it's hard to get that reed to bend down when you need it fast. So, I don't do anything fast with it. I will use a Richter. because..... Of course, I'm not YOU.

In fact, country tuning is extremely versatile and good-sounding,

It's the way I have always played. If I had learned everything on a Richter, maybe I would have been FORCED to develop. As it were, the 'so-called' country and melody tunings were so easy for me, I barely had to work at it. Probably why I also never wanted over-blows. Just didn't need em.

and players who've never tried it are missing out on a very good thing that's very easy to learn and use.

Well, see, that's what I'm saying. I'm lazy and will cheat any chance I get.
smo-joe

Regards, Richard Hunter