RE: [Harp-L] H2 H4 editing software recommendations

> I have an H2 and really like it, all in all, except being able to use
> "Chapter marks" and editing it on the device. I think the chapter marks
> thing is a Sony thing, because I have that functionality in my minidisc, my
> hard disk recorder for my TV, and I've seen it in other Sony products. So,
> the H2 gives me a WAV or MP3 as I prefer, and I'd like advice on the best
> software to cut it all up and join it together. I know about Audacity, and I
> suppose I'd really like something that used the Chaptering concept, as it is
> quite easy to navigate the pre edited data, and then delete what you don't
> want, and have it all join up. Any help gratefully received.
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw
> Sydney Australia

I have an H4 and it is a real pain not to be able to put track marks in as you record.  I got so used to doing that with my MD recorder.  The first recording I ever made on the H4, at our pub session, consisted of a single track three hours long!!  These days I resort to stopping the recorder and restarting it at frequent points in the evening.  Each restart constitutes a new track, which at least makes it a bit easier to sort the wheat from the chaff when you get home.   The program I've used for years for editing my recordings is Audio Cleaning Lab from Magix.  It's very flexible and easy to use.  You can split tracks very easily with one touch of the M key and you can expand the wave-form to chop even the tiniest of unwanted bits out.  It's easy to delete whole chunks once you've split them off from the bits you want to keep, and you can fade in and fade out so that your chopping doesn't sound too crude.  There are lots of other very good editing devices as well for compression and brightening the sound.   It's very forgiving if you make mistakes, allowing loads of "undos."   I'm told that Audacity can do most or all of this as well but I just don't know because I'm not familiar with it.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

The next generation of Windows Live is here
http://www.windowslive.co.uk/get-live