Re: [Harp-L] ?

On Apr 4, 2008, at 6:13 AM, Mox GOWLAND wrote:

<<"As to playing in three consecutive keys (G, D & A) I could suggest a
Melody tuned harmonica i.e. (Paddy 3 blow Smokey 5 draw with C as the
lowest note)">>
JR "Bulldogge" Ross
<I have no idea what the above sentence means.>

the Smokey 5 draw, (according to some) is a euphemism.

The 'smokey tuning' IS a euphemism and it WAS a private joke between Mox and myself. :)
Here is the history and I know that some people aren't going to like it, but you will have to live with it. Because sometimes pearls DO come from swine.

On Sept 25 1959 (repeat 1 9 5 9) there was a 17 year old boy who broke a reed on a Marine Band. It was a #5 draw. Being that he wasn't well heeled, he tried to fix it himself. Using a larger/longer/lower pitched reed, (and a paper clip tapered into a drift pin), he replaced the reed. BUT, because the reed was a little long, he clipped it with cuticle cutters, used an emory board on the tip and wound up with a reed the was a wee bit high. The more he filed the tip to keep it from buzzing, the higher the pitch went. His intention was to THEN lower the pitch by sanding the base of the reed.

However, he reached the point where he wound up with an F# (instead of an F), and actually LIKED what he heard. A chord blow AND draw. A true (sic:) harp effect. NOT being a 'blueser', he liked the fact that it opened up a multitude of possibilities for pop & doo-wop tunes. (A few days later, he also raised the 9 draw). This was to prevent the dis-cords he was getting up on the high end during runs. .

Around 1967, this same boy (now 25 and married), placed a windsaver on the #5 draw so that he could BLOW #5 down a semitone. This was to obtain a certain important note (critical to some tunes), and also be able to do a favorite riff. 3 draw, first step bend 3 draw, second step bend 3 draw, 3 draw, first step bend 4 draw, 4 draw, 5 blow, first step bend 5 blow, 5 blow, first step bend 5 draw, 5 draw.

In 1975, he was asked to do ONE number on the Ryman Christmas show with Ernest Tubb. While in Nashville, he did a tune called 'Londonderry Aire' and only used one harp. An older harmonica playing gentleman asked him how he did it and he showed the older man. Note: Up until 1976, players were using TWO harps. (with a key modulation, 4 harps instead of 2) Note: The proximity of Christmas 1975 to the year 1976.

#1 I don't believe the country tuning came out till much later (like 83)
#2 NOR did the 'double country' come out till much later.
#3 And certainly, the melody maker didn't come out till much later.

I have been going to the conventions for a long time and never heard a melody/country/whatever played at the blues jams (it just doesn't fit well). I don't think I have ever heard anyone other than me use one on a show nite.

Private jokes can often go astray so please excuse the confusion.

Yes, this is true. Since everyone would consider such a wonderful breakthrough as the work of someone who is a 'made' player.

Personally, I am not fond of the L.O. Melody Maker (trademark)

I don't care for the tuning. It is 'fuzzy'. I prefer to use spl-20s. This week I picked up 5 richters to re-do.

Seydel, once again IMHO, make a better instrument with the same tuning,
but are not allowed to call it by the same name.

I could GIVE Seydel my (sic: 'trademark'), but it's not mine to give. I never registered it. But, it's still my tuning.

smokey-joe

I don't use either to play the aforementioned Reels preferring retuning Golden Melody's to either this particular scale or , more recently , D Lydian Major Cross and Spiral.

http://www.myspace.com/mox_gowland
http://www.myspace.com/newhokumsheiks
http://harmopoint.com