[Harp-L] "Slight of Tongue" (was Glad I Was In Chicago)

In a message dated 4/6/2008 3:04:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rlwilliger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I cannot  believe that he does, technically,
what he does.  Playing what I think  was a Bach Invention, with a treble and
bass part, playing notes with  completely different timing (in other words,
not just an octave, and both  notes not playing at the same time, but with
some pretty detailed timing),  was absolutely incredible.  Holding a bass
note and playing it  pedalpoint to a shifting melody (with harmony put in,  of
course).

This isn't as difficult as it appears. It's something Howard has been doing
for many years - he used to call it "slight of tongue". It is a transcription
of  a portion of a Beethoven Violin Sonata. Carlos Del Junco covers this same
piece  on his "Big Boy" CD. My young student, RJ Harman, learned it in a few
weeks and  now plays it even faster and cleaner than Howard. I learned how to
do it in  order to teach it to RJ, play it a little slower, but can do a few
more  variations in the harmony/independent movement.

The tongue control is something that is easily learned. However, it does
take time - and commitment. Learning to use your tongue to its fullest extent,
for harmonica players especially, is a real advantage.

The tongue/throat muscles are not bundled. They can act independently.  Also,
the tongue muscle is amazing. You can curve it at the back while wiggling
the tip side to side, roll it, flatten it, move different parts of it different
ways at the same time, etc. The most important factor is to become aware of
the  possibilities and explore them.

Learning how to control the tongue is a discipline of SLOW and  RELAX,
gradually building up the speed. The RELAX is crucial, as once you  feel tension in
your body it is reflected along all the nerve paths leading to  muscle
control. Also, once you tense up, your tongue muscle becomes a  harder lump in your
mouth. Even those that use TB and movement for big sound  (for example, Kim
Wilson and his patented solo harmonica groove extravaganza)  need to totally
relax the tongue muscle while moving it at a good  velocity.

Move only the absolute minimum muscle needed to create the maximum effect.
Learn to disengage muscles not totally essential to the process.

It is easier to teach a total beginner this discipline than to work with
someone who's played for a while and has built up habits that need to be
unlearned.

The Iceman