[Harp-L] Glad I was in Chicago

I was off to Chicago this weekend, when my lovely wife said, "Hey, there's
some guy named Levy or Levey or something at Fitzgerald's this weekend,
doing some bluegrass thing.  It says he plays harmonica.  Did you want to
go?"
Well, it turned out to be Howard Levy, teamed up with Special Consensus,
which is, indeed, a bluegrass quartet.
Whoa.  I have never heard Howard live before.  To say I'm blown away would
be a gross misunderstatement.  I cannot believe that he does, technically,
what he does.  Playing what I think was a Bach Invention, with a treble and
bass part, playing notes with completely different timing (in other words,
not just an octave, and both notes not playing at the same time, but with
some pretty detailed timing), was absolutely incredible.  Holding a bass
note and playing it pedalpoint to a shifting melody (with harmony put in, of
course).  Bending notes while holding others.  Incredible, blinding, speed,
with accuracy that is just -for lack of a better word - amazing.  AND,
playing piano with one hand while holding a harp with the other - and
switching-off mid-tune.  All that, PLUS the absolutely stellar musicianship
of Special Consensus (whom I had not heard of before, but who I will listen
to not - and  no, I was ~not~ a bluegrass freak before) made me such a happy
camper, that I was inspired to tell this list about it.
I had always heard that Howard was an international player, and best in
class.  I can't say I have heard everyone, so who knows if he's "best" or
not - but if he's not, well I don't know who's better.
I am certain I have not done his performance justice.  I just wanted to
share a little bit, and encourage you to go hear this man - he's a national
treasure, and a true inspiration to all musicians.
And I wanted to thank my wife for looking out for me!