[Harp-L] Re: Harp Lesson Payment

Hello, Dave.

I'm also a harmonica teacher, currently with 8 regular students of the
10-hole diatonic Richter system harp.
I'm paid by check from the Milwaukee Public Schools Recreation  Department.

But this post is only indirectly about me, as a harmonica student.

Maybe 4 years ago, I studied chord harp with one of the USA's chord
harmonica treasures: Wally Petermann. I drove from Milwaukee to Zion, Illinois  for
the lessons.

Every Sunday for about a month, in 5 hour sessions, Wally showed me the
basics of 48 chord harp playing, after which his wife prepared and served a  great
meal.

Wally's lessons were extremely valuable to me, but I couldn't afford to pay
him what his time was truly worth.
Since I had a huge surplus of harmonicas, I paid him with harmonicas.

Wally never asked for a cent, but he accepted the harmonicas, saying,  "What
am I going to do with all these harps?"

Wally, if you are reading this, thanks for your lessons, and I'll never
forget your generosity.

John Broecker