Re: [Harp-L] B- Bb, Dm queston

Why would you choose a B harmonica to play in the key of D? D is not part of the B major scale. To get the note D on a B harmonica you'd need to play overblows in Holes 1 and 4 and a blow bend in Hole 8.

I'm not sure where you're seeing D minor played on a Bb harp. That's fifth position, and it has some advantages, as there's a partial D minor chord with bendable notes in Holes 2 and 3. Draw 5 and 9 are avoid notes unless you're playing something with a flat 2nd degree in the scale, something with a Flamenco or Spanish flavor.

D minor on a C harp is the most popular choice, because you get a full D minor chord in the the draw notes above Hole 4. Draw 3 and 7 are mild avoid notes, depending on the background chord playing at the time.

Winslow

Checked by AVG.