[Harp-L] Re: Current Hohner reeds

I should retroactively insert an "IMO" here about my prior assessment of reed failures. I'm not a metalurgist, just a technician. I concede that occasionally a blown reed could be blamed on the harp. I still personally believe most blown out reeds are from bending down to the floor of the bend, combined with sucking or blowing too hard, and it's going to be really hard to change my mind about it.

Jeff, I don't see quality control issues with the current ('06-up plates) Hohner reeds. The milling is nice, and they're usually installed nicely. I can make them work if I have to. Fernando told me that these reeds are more durable, and I have no evidence not to believe him. I have quite a number of these harps out there, and could count on one hand the ones that have come back for repairs. The two issues I have with them is stickiness on the 3 draw when set up for tightly intonated bends, and the blow bends blowing sharp with harder pressure. Sometimes impossible to tune octaves. That alone is enough for me to hate them, or at least the extra work I have to do in order to live with them.

To my understanding, there's more to hardness than the brass formula, it's also cold-rolled???