[Harp-L] Pride and Humiliation

In a message dated 9/30/2007 12:47:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
swebb@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Ben  sez: "cycles of pride and humiliation.."

Ben hits the nail right square  on the proverbial head with this statement.
However, I have a little  problem with ever believing Ben thought to  himself
that he was a great  harmonica player.

Many of the diatonic players I've met at SPAH in the -not recent- past  fell
under this heading. While learning the art of "acting humble", they are
really in love with their playing. Their secret thoughts reveal what is true in
their hearts - however, secret thoughts are rarely ever revealed. It is this
exact egotism that keeps one from truly advancing.

Ben was very brave to publicly proclaim himself a member of this philosophy
club and lucky enough to have learned the only valuable lesson waiting to  be
learned at this juncture. So many others never connect the dot and live a
life of unrealized potential and ponderous ego.

If you give up the self love and look upon your talent with amused
detachment (I always think of Charlie Musselwhite's eyebrows as a visual of this
concept), there will be no limit to what you can accomplish.

The Iceman