Re: [Harp-L] Re: The Chromatic Harmonica Sounds Like A Machine

Sounding "like a machine" is just a way of saying that the listener didn't
seem to perceive as much human emotion conveyed through the instrument,
amongst the players that he'd heard so far, I am assuming.

It is true that amongst classical performers, some are more known for the
feeling they convey, and others, for their "mechanical precision". It was
said, I believe falsely, of the famous violinist Jascha Heifitz, that his
execution was "cold", yet precise. There is most of the time SOME element of
truth beneath these claims, however much exaggerated they may be.

In listening to two different versions of Saint-Saens "Introduction et Rondo
Capriccio", one may notice a difference:

Here is Heifetz (performed in the context of a movie):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZRHlZho5xm8

I wouldn't call that performance "emotionless", but compare with Isaac
Stern:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XD059jkt6bs

My impression is that Stern conveys more tenderness, more passion,,but only
by a bit.

Hey,,they're both good.

But amongst harmonica players,,there's the same variation. I doubt whether
it could be said that ALL chromatic players have a "mechanical" execution,
or all diatonic players an "emotional".

Blah blah blah,,blah blah,,blah

BL