From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of tomsmics
Sent: samedi, 29. septembre 2007 00:39
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Gary Primich.....

I considered Gary to be a good friend, besides a customer.  I first met him
in the early 90's;  we did a lesson in the beer garden behind J&J Blues Bar
in Ft. Worth.  Later, when the mic biz opened, he became a customer, and
even a test pilot of some mic designs we pioneered, most memorably the
Astatic 200S models we cut down to the bullet and mod-ed.

The guy was the real deal.  I'd seen him in so many formats--from acoustic
to amplified, all combinations of players.  He was always the most happening
thing on stage, and his infectious playing and patter always had an impact
on his audience.

I spoke to Gary just a few months ago.  He had lost all his harps, mics,
etc.  Even over the phone it was apparent he had really changed--he just
wasn't the positive guy I had come to know and respect.  When I had seen him
last, his weight gain indicated he had completely forsaken the athletic
regimen he used to follow.

His death is a sad thing, for sure.  But after living with it a few days, I
think I have to admit I'm also pretty pissed at him just because he killed
himself.  Suicide is a tough thing, but unlike Bill Clarke--who died from
internal bleeding that was a hereditary issue (and a REAL tragedy) and NOT
self inflicted, Gary's death angers me.  Like Butterfield, he ignored all
the warnings, lessons and examples of how NOT to live your life.  Willingly
or not, he subjected himself to a nasty addiction, so well hidden few knew
of it.  Did he try to get clean?  I hope so, and maybe we'll find out he was
really struggling to get clear of the problem.  But dying of a drug overdose
is just a waste.  It's not a tragedy, not as I define tragedy.

It's a terrible way to wrap up a life of giving pleasure to so many.  And it
really pisses me off he decided to go that way.  TOM ELLIS/Tom's Mics