Re: [Harp-L] PFOS song writing contest contract

captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

<As most of us know, there is a documentary on harmonica in the works, <called "Pocket Full of Soul", and they have offered a song contest, the <winner to have his/her song used in the film. No monetary compensation <was offered.
<After it stirred some debate on this list, the owners of the film (who <are said to be nice people) had their lawyer re-write the original <contract to make it less unfavorable to the songwriters.
<After PFOS revealed on Harp-L that some well known song writers <submitted songs, i got inspired and submitted my own. They later asked <all submitters to send in their names and addresses again, so they <could "send everyone something".
<I rec'd my envelope as i was leaving on a trip and didn't get to study <it, but it didn't contain the PFOS T-shirt i had hoped for! My <envelope contained a check for $1 and forms to sign to enable me
<to forfeit any claims i have to the song, either forever or for 5 years <(i forget). I assume every other songwriter received the same <contract
< I wasn't looking for compensation if my song was chosen, but it <seems to me that the PFOS people want to own not just the rights to the <song that wins the contest, but the rights to every song submitted. So <even if our song isn't chosen to be in the movie, we cannot use it for <our own commercial purposes?
<Comments?

Yeah, I have a comment. Don't sign that contract unless you want somebody else to own all rights in your work in return for $1.

Someone apparently forgot to tell the lawyer who re-wrote the contract that it was supposed to be LESS unfavorable to the songwriters. I can't imagine terms less favorable to the songwriter than what is described above. To put it bluntly, this is a blatant ripoff.

Whether this is deliberate or not, I can't say. I can only repeat that the terms above are as bad as can be, and anyone who signs such a contract is asking for heartbreak.

Regards,
Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp