[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 49, Issue 30

     It's a blast when a couple of my interests coincide, this time, harmonicas and piano tuning.  Long ago, I assisted a veteran piano tuner in Long Beach CA for about six months.  Much of my work was refurbishing piano actions in the shop, but I also accompanied him on all tuning visits because, frankly, he could no longer hear the top octave and a half.  His deficit was profound, but this actually posed little problem -- what a tuner really needs is a well developed sense of timing, to know just how fast two strings beat against each other -- and he was not alone among tuners in relying in part on a strobe tuner, with much twisting of the "cents" dial, to properly stretch those uppermost notes.  But, as those who've used a strobe tuner know, the stripe pattern will stop when a pitch is correct, but also when it is wrong by a perfect interval, and it was to prevent such a gross mistuning that he had me along.
     We are lucky to have a Harp-L'er (Iceman) with real piano tuning experience and, as someone noted, reading his contribution and the Wikipedia entry gets a person a long way towards understanding a piano tuner's challenge.  Given the realities of string stiffness, and factors like the breaks in string behavior at transitions between plain and wound strings,  it's as much an art as a science -- the art of compromise.  I would just add one thing to what has been said.  Once they'd set the temperament octave in the middle of the instrument, the tuners I knew did not extend out from it by tuning perfect (or even slow-rolling) octaves (an exception was sometimes for the very lowest strings, where they might do it by listening for coincident partials).  Instead, they relied on some tried-and-true "A/B"-type interval tests, with names like the "3rd-10th test" and the "outside 6th-inside 3rd test", where success will be marked by equal beat rates at some easily perceivable speed, and also by checking beat rate progressions up and down the keyboard for intervals such as the 10th and the 17th -- both should slow down as you progress down the keyboard.  It takes valuable time to tell if an octave is beatless, and a slow roll can mean either slightly narrow or slightly wide, whereas faster beat speeds don't pose these problems.
     What I'd like to know is why such interval tests seem to work also for harmonicas (and in my experience, they do).  Are the overtones produced by a vibrating free reed at all close to a harmonic series, as is substantially true for the overtones of a vibrating string?  Or is it our ears that actually provide the overtone series for both reeds and strings, against which an out-of-tune interval will beat and sound bad?  Time to break out the oscilloscope....
-John Thaden
Little Rock, Arkansas USA