Re: [Harp-L] Re: Temperments of other instruments

Piano strings are complex because they are not perfect (limber) strings but have stiffness. This means that the pitch and overtones are slightly different when just struck by the hammer and when reverberating later. However, we become accustomed to ET and this "imperfection" and relish both as characteristic of the instrument. Guitar strings have less stiffness and sound different.

In a similar fashion we have become accustomed to hearing the minor seventh of a cross-harp scale and now relish it as a defining characteristic of the blues. The sometimes-dischordant drone of the fifth banjo string is characteristic of bluegrass and the one-chord drone is characteristic of the bagpipe. We adapt our tastes to the peculiarities and limitations of our instruments. Then, the instrumental anomalies become integral to the music.

Is it true that ET is used whenever the same instrument is used to play in different keys because JT in one key isn't JT in others?

Is it true that the human ear prefers JT chords and that performers that use their ears to set the pitch of each note (string quartets and a capella vocal groups) naturally revert to JT? Isn't that the charm of the string and barbershop quartets?

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com