Re: [Harp-L] Temperments of other instruments

jazmaan wrote:
> As I understand it, harmonicas can be ET or JI or compromise in-
> between variations.   Pianos are ET.  What about other instruments
> in the band?   Correct me if I'm wrong, but the human voice is
> JI and fretless instruments are JI.  But what about guitars?  Sax,
> trumpet?

For instruments that are capable of producing only one tone at a
time (in traditional use) like a trumpet or saxophone or clarinet,
there would be no need to tune to just intonation.  No chords are
available to exploit that system, and it would create an undue
hardship as the music originated or modulated through different
keys.  Indeed, many of these instruments can vary pitch slightly
through subtle manipluations by the player.

To say that a continuously variable instrument like a fretless
stringed instrument (violin, cello, fretless electric bass, etc.) or
a slide trombone has any "intonation" would apply only to the open
tunings of the strings, not to any note produced by stops.  Those
instruments offer truely microtonal capabilities, under the
influence of the musician.

Likewise, the human voice obviously has no built in temperament or
intonation, since it is probably the most felxible of "instruments"
when it comes to producing pitch variations.  Human nature (or
perhaps the influence of western music) would be to produce JI
intervals in the absence of other references (such as an equally
tempered dominant instrument).

Remember that 12-tone equal temperament and 7-limit just intonation
are just two of a myriad of intonation systems developed over the
years.  While it's true that harmonicas are generally 12TET or 7-
limit just or some compromise in-between, the harmonica is a
relatively "young" instrument, are tunings reflect only about 100
years of needing to get along in a musical world.  The history of
intonations is far richer, with many systems developed for specific
instruments or specific needs.  To call a piano tuning
purely "equally tempered" would be a disservice to the tuner, who
works hard to create pleasing intervals from a basis of 12TET.

Perhaps JRRoss will weigh in here, he knows far more about tuning
and temperaments that I do.

-tim