Re: [Harp-L] BOSE PAS (sound system)

In a message dated 9/13/2007 11:51:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bboyd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

The  problem I see for my band with this system is we have 3 vocals, harp,
guitar, bass, drums and steel drum and it doesn't have enough inputs like  a
PA system has. It appears to be more for a duo or single and not an  entire
band. Am I missing something and can it be used for an entire  band?

What most people miss is that it is only limited by your imagination. The
basic system doesn't have a lot of inputs. To use it effectively and add
effects, you either add a mixer or use the BOSE tone match generator (which  is
really just a mixer w/effects built in).

It is marketed as a unit that each member of the band "should" own - a  group
of black sticks across the back of the stage. This was an attempt to sell
more units. However, the high price proved inhibitive for most musicians.

Now they've added the "mixer" to encourage use of one or two systems for a
band. It is an evolution for BOSE.

My four years experience with the system allowed me to try many different
set-ups and configurations. My conclusion is that it will do amazing things as
long as you have the right philosophy in using it. You don't just open the
box,  plug a bunch of stuff into it and away you go. You work with it to shape a
sound.

If you are impatient or too lazy to open your imagination in this way, this
system probably won't work for you.

If you are interested in regaining control of the band's overall sound and
wish to move to a "NOT TOO LOUD" philosophy, this unit has a lot to offer.
However, it does work differently than everything that came before, so takes a
flexible outlook to appreciate what it can do.

The Iceman