Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: criticism/response to Larry

Larry writes: (and all comments in quotes are his)...

"I am decidedly on the side of those who believe that criticism is useful
for all of us on the list."

 I don't necessarily disagree with you in principle.  If you  don't object to
being critiqued in public by fellow harmonica  players as a teaching lesson
for other harmonica players, that is  absolutely your right.

"I agree that if you make a public performance,  you have already decided
by default that you are prepared for  criticism."

This was the issue.  Was the performance "public" or do we just  interpret
everything anyone does today as "public"...ergo, losing/giving  up their right
to privacy if they so much as have a photo or article in a  newspaper?  I
differed in my interpretation of whether or not a person  putting a video on
YouTube expected it to be taken to a completely separate web  page for purposes of
criticism, when it would have been simple to put the  criticisms on his/her
site....specifically set up for that purpose?

 I further posit that a joint "discussion" on both his page and  harp-l would
not have bothered me half so much, as long as the subject  of the criticisms
was aware of his playing being such a focus.

"If you are an artist and
you have confidence in what you are  doing, then a negative critique
shouldn't matter to you."

I've just read Bob Laughlin's explanation of his own "growing up as a
performer".  He said it very well.  Not everyone has the  confidence you expect.
Why should it be assumed that every artist is  confident?  Actually, I believe
statistics usually prove the contrary to be  true.

 "If you don't have confidence in what you are
doing, then please  don't inflict your stuff on the rest of us."

Now this is where we're poles apart.  Not only did the  performer in question
not "inflict his stuff" (performance) on anyone on  Harp-l (do we at least
agree on that point?),

....but I also don't understand why you feel that anyone putting  out any
video...especially an amateur video (as most are on YouTube),  should at all be
expected to be performing at Professional levels....the kind  where one 'might'
be expected to have a reasonable degree of  confidence...just because someone
ELSE chose to take that video and critique it  elsewhere.

This was part of my original point.  If the video was left in situ, it  would
have been accepted for what it was...not examined under a  microscope or
expected to be at the level of all the experts on  harp-l.

 The entire premise of YouTube is that anyone at any time can put  anything
up. People film their dogs, cats, children, birthday parties,  weddings, people
falling off bikes... It isn't "inflicting" it on anyone  else...unless the
viewer "chooses" to watch (and consider  themselves "inflicted").

And again...this implies that an amateur musician is somehow  hurting the
rest of us by not being "perfect".  What is wrong with 1) NOT  watching his/her
videos, 2) NOT commenting one way or the other if one does  decide to watch and
finds the performance not up to one's standards, and  3)What gives us all the
right as musicians (one of my original questions) to sit  in judgment of our
fellows...in any field?  I know for certain that no one  died and made ME
Judge and Jury of another musician's level of playing, at least  insofar as to
publish a negative criticism.

I (and most people I know who are not harmonica players) choose to listen  to
 music which pleases my ear.  I purchase CD's based on my enjoyment  of a
performer's music.  I switch radio stations if music comes on that  grates on my
nerves. That is how I "speak" my opinion of what I like and  dislike. I won't
buy music I don't like..I won't grant permission for  musicians whose music
displeases me to link to my webpage. I express my opinions  of music in other
such benign ways.   Dissecting someone for the sake  of dissection comes across
to me (and many non musicians I know) as cruelty for  cruelty's sake.

"For all the others, a detailed and specific  criticism can both inform
and stir our own feelings."

They can.  IF the person who is being criticized asks for and expects  the
criticism, and doesn't mind being used as a teaching tool for the rest of  us.
Was that the case here?  Then again..who were those giving the  critiques?
Just other fellow harmonica players.  Do you automatically  assume they were
qualified and/or unbiased?  Perhaps.  Perhaps  not.

"I further agree that Elizabeth's response, while it was  friendly, is
none the less a form of ad hominem attack; that is, it attacks  the
person or hir actions, not the validity of hir arguments."

Larry Marks, Really Senior Software Geek

Well, Larry, sorry to  have to disagree completely with your interpretation
of my comments as an  "attack", while you do the very same to my reasoned out
response.  ;)  You've now "attacked" my right to express an opinion about a
particular method of criticism. Mine was nothing of the kind,  especially since
I specifically DID disagree with the validity of their  arguments.  I also
pointed out that it would make a lot more  sense...and be far kinder to an
amateur fellow harmonica player, to take  the criticism TO the site where the video
was made, and where the performer  fully expects these kinds of responses.

No point in going round in well-worn circles. Thanks for your comments. I'm
sending you under separate cover, my responses to Jonathan and Martin,
disallowed on Harp-L, to read or not. ;)

Elizabeth